Avocado Tomatillo Salsa is a spicy Mexican condiment made with tomatillos, chili peppers, and avocado. Drizzle it over tacos, morning eggs or any of your favorite foods for a delicious kick of flavor!
G and I had lunch at the Whittier branch of El Cholo Mexican restaurant (their Los Angeles branch opened in 1921!) over the weekend. As customary in most Mexican sit-down establishments, we were served complimentary chips and salsa as a precursor to our meal.
The deep-fried corn chips were so warm and fresh and the salsa roja nicely roasted and perfectly spiced, I was too full for anything else other than dessert by the time our waiter circled back to the table to take our order.
When I asked our server, he confirmed that the green sauce was, in fact, tomatillo salsa. Avocado tomatillo salsa, to be exact. And in the spirit of super duper customer service, he brought a small bowl for us to try. Mighty Lord have mercy! It was so darn good, I couldn’t pry the chip from the dip.
By the time we left the restaurant, I was literally obsessed with the stuff and was resolute to make my own batch at home. Fortunately, I already have tried and tested salsa verde recipe which I have been making for years and turning it into my newest favorite was just a matter of adding the right amount of avocados to achieve the texture and taste I was looking for.
May I say my effort was successful? You guys, I need to pat my own back here. This avocado tomatillo salsa is the bomb! So good, you can eat it with a spoon! If you can resist long enough not to eat it with a spoon, it’s also awesome over breakfast eggs, grilled meats or seafood, and just about anything that needs an extra dose of yum. And let’s not forget it’s the ultimate dip, too! Give me a bunch of crisp corn chips in one hand and I can seriously drown in this salsa all day long.
Anyway, here are a few more things I love to do with avocados:
- 10 to 12 tomatillos
- 3 large jalapeno chilis, stems removed
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ bunch cilantro, stems trimmed
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 avocados
- In a saucepan, combine tomatillos, jalapenos and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil for about 7 to 10 minutes or until softened. Remove from water.
- In a blender, combine tomatillos, jalapenos, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Pulse to process for about 40 to 50 seconds.
- Cut avocados in half and discard pit. Using a spoon, scoop flesh. Add to tomatillo sauce and continue to pulse for another 30 to 40 seconds or until desired consistency.