Banana and Cream Cheese Spring rolls made of banana and cream cheese strips are wrapped in spring roll wrappers and fried until crisp and caramelized. So addictingly delicious, you’ll be hard pressed to eat just one!
I kind of debated at first whether to post the recipe for these banana and cream cheese spring rolls here or on my other cooking blog, Kawaling Pinoy, which focuses on Filipino and Asian-inspired eats. This, after all, is turon and it can’t get any more Filipino street food than this.
Also, I wasn’t sure if you’ll have easy access to the ingredients. However, I’ve seen cardaba bananas at Mexican and Latin grocery stores I frequent and they seem to be available in abundance year round. I’ve also seen spring roll wrappers at Walmart, Target, and most better supermarkets so it shouldn’t be a problem to find. Or, you can order these spring roll wrappers Amazon and enjoy convenient home delivery. 🙂
Please note that egg roll wrappers are NOT the same as spring roll wrappers. Although they look the same, they’re different in texture and taste. While the former tend to be thick and “eggy”, spring roll wrappers are paper thin and fry up into a shatteringly crisp crunch which is perfect for these dessert rolls.
Will you give these banana and cream cheese spring rolls a try? I promise you’ll be the star of any party you’ll bring them to. That is if you’ll even want to share!
- 12 saba bananas (cardaba bananas)
- 1 cup sugar
- 24 Springroll wrappers
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 48 pieces ½-inch thick strips
- canola oil
- Peel bananas and cut lengthwise into halves. Roll in sugar.
- Separate springroll wrappers into individual sheets. On a flat working surface, lay wrapper like a diamond. Arrange 1 banana slice in the middle of diamond and place 2 cream cheese slices lengthwise on top of banana slice. Fold bottom pointed end of wrapper over filling. Fold side ends of the sheet inward and roll into a log. Wet the pointed edge of the wrapper to completely seal. Roll sealed springrolls in sugar. Repeat with the remaining bananas.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat about 2-inches deep of oil. Add banana springrolls and fry, turning once or twice, for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and caramelized.