I was going to make ranch potatoes for lunch today but midway through the prep, I decided to jazz things a bit and amp up the flavor factor. I used baby potatoes instead of the red, replaced the pouch of dressing mix with whipped cream cheese and added bacon bits, garlic and onions. I also tossed in fresh rosemary for an aroma boost and oh my, did the kitchen smell heavenly! Amazing how a few simple switches turned a familiar recipe into a whole new dish.
Guys, these cheesy skillet potatoes are the bomb! Tender potatoes, creamy sauce, the piney herb scent, bacon crumbles, gooey melted cheese –>these are the stuff side dish dreams are made of. Pair with roasted chicken or a hunk of grilled steak and you are in for an awesome meal ahead. Enjoy!
- 1 small sprig rosemary
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- ½ pound (about 6 slices) bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup colby jack or cheddar cheese (or a mix of both), shredded
- To prepare rosemary, hold sprig of rosemary stem from the top and using other hand, run your fingers down the stalk. Discard stalk and coarsely chop leaves.
- Over medium heat, heat pan. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until it begins to release fat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until limp and bacon is cooked through but not crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan.
- Lightly spray the insides of a cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine potatoes, bacon, onions, garlic and about 3 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss to combine and transfer onto prepared skillet. Cover firmly and tightly with foil. Bake in a 375 F oven for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender but still hold shape. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk cream cheese until fluffly. Add sour cream and whisk together until blended. Spoon mixture over potatoes and stir together until combined. Sprinkle with cheese and the rosemary. Bake, uncovered, for about 6 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve hot.