A friend of mine who works in a confectionery shop suprised me with this chocolate caramel snowman apple last week. It sat, untouched, in the refrigerator for a few days as I couldn’t muster the heart to slice and munch through it. Just too darn cute to eat! My friend was nice enough to share her how-to’s and to help me assemble a dozen to give out as Christmas treats. You can easily turn this into a fun family activity, one the kids will surely enjoy this holiday season.
- 4 jumbo Granny Smith apples
- 4 large marshmallows
- 1 pound soft caramel candies
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound white chocolate, cut into chunks
- 12 pieces chocolate chips
- 8 pieces plain M&M candies
- 4 6-inch fruit roll-ups or twizzlers
- 4 wooden skewers
- Wash apples and dry thoroughly. Remove stems and refrigerate until cold.
- Skewer marshmallow and stick skewer securely in the stem end of apple all the way to the core.
- In a double boiler, combine caramels and water. Stir until smooth and completely melted. Alternatively, in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave caramels with water for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for another 1 minute or until smooth and completely melted.
- Holding the stick, dunk apple-marshmallow in caramel, tilting the bowl at an angle and swirling the stick to cover up to ¾ of the apple. Repeat with remaining apples. Set bottom down on a parchment-lined sheet pan and refrigerate for about 25-30 minutes. With kitchen shears or a knife, trim excess caramel that dripped at bottom of apple while it sat standing.
- In a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is smooth and completely melted. Alternatively, in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate on high for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through heating time. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth and completely melted.
- Holding the stick, roll caramel-covered apple AND marshmallow in chocolate until evenly and completely covered. If necessary, spoon chocolate on top of marshmallow to fully cover. Use knife to smooth and to cover hard to get spots.
- Allow to set for 2 to 3 minutes. While chocolate is still wet, decorate with "eyes" (chocolate chips), "scarf" (fruit roll-ups) and "buttons" (M&M's). Refrigerate for 45-60 minutes or until chocolate hardens.
And yep! These apples were as delicious to eat as they were fun to make.