I saw photos of these potatoes floating around on Facebook and with a name such as crack potatoes, I was bound to be intrigued.
I traced back the recipe to Plain Chicken and after briefly glancing through the short list of ingredients and three-step procedure, I was in my kitchen excitedly making myself a batch. The ingredients were basic pantry staples, I didn’t even need to make a special trip to the store!
Other than crisping fresh bacon to crumble (never was a fan of those real bacon bits packed in a bottle) and adding chopped green onions for a splash of color, I didn’t deviate far from the original recipe. As I’ve tried sour cream, ranch dip mix and cheese in potatoes before, I was sure the combo would work beautifully and beautifully it did work!
This potato dish definitely deserves its name, it was so addicting! G and I wolfed down the whole pan between us for lunch and wanted more come dinner.
These crack potatoes double easily and keep well in the freezer, making them a breeze to serve for family dinners and large gatherings. Loaded with sour cream, bacon crumbles, and cheese, they’re everything indulgent and definitely not waist-friendly. But oh my friends, are they oh so worth the fat pants. Enjoy!
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 (24 ounces) sour cream
- 1 (1.0 ounce) ranch dip/dressing mix
- 1 (28 ounces) package frozen shredded hash browns
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until golden and crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In a bowl, whisk together sour cream and ranch dressing mix. Add hash browns, 2 cups of the cheese, bacon crumbles and green onions. You can leave about 1 tablespoon of bacon and green onions to garnish potatoes once cooked. Transfer into a baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 F oven for about 40 to 50 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese on top and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes or cheese is melted. Remove from heat and garnish with additional bacon crumbles and green onions, if desired. Serve hot.