Looking for a healthier alternative to the usual calorie-laden ice cream? Try frozen bananas! These potassium-rich, chocolate-enrobed treats are as much fun to make as they are to eat. Bring out the kid in everyone and play with different toppings~ shredded coconut, granola, sprinkles/jimmies, chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds, peanuts), M&M’s, mini marshmallows, crumbled Oreo cookies, chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups, chocolate chips…gah! Let me know if you think of anything else!
- 6 bananas
- 24 ounces semi-chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 6 wooden skewers
- Remove peel from bananas and insert a wooden skewer at the end of each banana. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for about 1 hour or until very firm.
- In a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth and completely melted. Alternatively, in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate on high for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through heating time. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth and completely melted.
- Holding the stick, dip frozen bananas in chocolate until evenly and completely covered. If necessary, spoon chocolate and use knife to smooth and to cover hard to get spots. Allow the excess chocolate to drip into bowl.
- Place toppings on a wide, flat dish. Roll chocolate-covered banana on toppings, rotating it around to fully cover.
- Arrange prepared bananas back on parchment-lined baking sheet and return to freezer until frozen. Remove from baking sheet and keep in an airtight container to store or thaw for about 2 to 3 minutes to serve.