Soft, moist and full of pumpkin flavor, this Pumpkin Loaf makes a delicious treat for breakfast or anytime-of-the-day snack. It’s so quick and simple to make, you can easily turn up a batch for holiday gift giving.
One of my good friends at work brought this pumpkin loaf and gave me a couple of slices to try. I have to say, it was the best pumpkin bread I’ve had in a long while. Heck, it was the best bread I’ve had my whole life period. The outside of the bread was nice and crusty while the inside was soft and spongy, it was truly an amazing Fall treat.
I was lucky to wrangle the recipe from her and I’ve baked this loaf many times since that first delectable bite. With wonderful notes of cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg, my house smelled heavenly!
This pumpkin loaf is so quick and simple to make, you can easily bake up a few pieces to enjoy throughout the day or to give out as holiday gifts. Nothing beats a warm, delicious piece of pumpkin bread and a piping hot cup of cocoa to cozy up to during cold winter days. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Stir until well-dispersed.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and shortening. Using a hand mixer, cream together until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add pumpkin and milk to egg mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until just smooth. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake in a 350 F oven for about 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and brush top with butter, if desired. Allow to slightly cool and remove from pan. Slice into serving pieces.