I was in the middle of hulling strawberries and cutting bananas when G walked in on me in the kitchen. He readily helped himself to a big bowl and quickly polished the generous helping in a few bites, exclaiming these are so good between forkfuls. The big guy sure loves his fruit. I, on the other hand, am not much into these superfoods. #shamefaced. I need more prodding to dig in than just the fact that they are sweet, juicy and good for ya. To enjoy my fruits, I need them generously doused in somethin’ creamy and sinful.
This strawberry banana and cream salad is one of the very few ways I’ll indulge on fruit. It’s a very simple treat, really. I just whisk sour cream with a bit of sugar, slather it all over cut up fruits and then add a good sprinkling of toasted coconut. On days when I am being extra good to myself, I even toss in a couple handfuls of fresh blueberries and raspberries for additional layers of color, flavor and nutrition. Have picky kids? They’ll surely gobble this fruit salad in a jiffy.
- ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into halves
- 2 bananas, peeled and cut into ½ inch thick rounds
- In a pan over medium heat, add shredded coconut. Cook, sitirring frequently, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and aromatic. Immediately remove from pan and allow to completely cool.
- In a bowl, combine sour cream and sour. Whisk together sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth and pourable.
- In a bowl, combine strawberries and bananas. Add sour cream mixture and gently toss to coat fruits. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve immediately.