Trash Bag Taco Salad is a fun and easy salad to prepare for potlucks and parties. It’s loaded with taco meat, shredded lettuce, and all the trimmings for a sure crowd-pleaser and it’s tossed together in a trash bag for quick clean up.
I know what you’re thinking and I totally agree. Trash bag taco salad doesn’t sound very appetizing but trust me, this is one of the best salads you’ll ever have!
I found this taco salad recipe online years ago and it has since become my go-to food to bring for potlucks and parties. The name intrigued me to try it and the taste got me hooked. 🙂 Loaded with crisp corn chips, flavorful ground beef, ranch-style beans, salsa, cheddar cheese and a colorful slew of tomatoes, onions, and olives, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
As the salad is popular for large gatherings and the bulk amount makes it difficult to mix in a regular-sized container, all the ingredients gets tossed together in a trash bag instead. It’s easy and fun to prepare and makes clean-up a breeze. But although simple and convenient, making this trash bag taco salad can easily turn into a major fiasco. Can you just imagine the mess and stress if the bag broke and everything spilled all over the place?
That’s why I only trust Hefty Ultra Strong Kitchen Trash bags! They’re tough on trash and also strong enough for other jobs such as for moving, traveling and packing. With their active tear resistant technology and break resistant grip drawstring, fear of breaking the bag is a thing of the past!
Hefty handles household messes with superior strength and controls pesky odors with Arm and Hammer patented odor neutralizer for a home that’s both clean and sweet smelling.The best part is, it now costs less than Glads!
As you’ll see in the recipe below, this trash bag taco salad makes a whopping 40 to 50 servings! You can, of course, scale it down for a regular family dinner or double to easily feed an army. Either way, enjoy!
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2½ cups water
- 3 (1 ounce each) taco seasoning mix
- 3 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 cups (about 4 to 5 medium) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 (15 ounces each) cans ranch-style beans, drained
- 2 (4.25 ounces each) cans sliced olives, drained
- 1 (16 ounces) package corn chips
- 1 16 ounces) bottle Catalina salad dressing
- 1 (12 ounces) jar salsa
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a skillet over medium heat, add ground beef. Cook, breaking into pieces with back of the spoon, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until it begins to release fat. Drain excess fat if needed. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until beef lightly browns and onions and garlic are softened.
- Add water and taco seasoning mix. Stir until well-dispersed. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a trash bag or very large container, combine taco meat, lettuce, beans, olives, corn chips, salad dressing, salsa, and cheese. Gently toss until well-distributed. Transfer to serving container.
By the way, if you’re in the mood for a good laugh, make sure to watch John Cena’s #Heftyheftyhefty commercials! John is one of my favorite celebrities and I am so glad he’s teaming up with Hefty to bring the #Heftyheftyhefty chant back to life.