When I saw this recipe at the back of a Heinz ketchup bottle, I just had to try it. I mean, really, who can resist something called hot doggity dogs?
Forget buns! These hotdogs are as fun to make as they are to eat. Brushed with ketchup and then coated with cornflakes and lastly, they are baked in the oven until golden and crunchy. As they are skewered in bamboo sticks, they are handy treat for summer picnics or kid parties.
- 8 hot dogs
- ¼ cup tomato ketchup
- 1 cup corn flakes, crushed
- 8 bamboo skewers
- Insert skewers into the length hot dogs, leaving about 2 inches for handle.
- Score surface of hot dogs, spiraling from end to end, at about ¼-inch dip. Pull hot dogs lengthwise to open up crevices.
- Roll hot dogs on ketchup to fully coat and then roll on corn flake crumbs to completely cover.
- Arrange in a single layer on foil-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350 F oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until coating is lightly-browned and crisp and hot dogs are completely heated through. Serve with ketchup or mustard.