These roasted smashed potatoes may not be the prettiest spuds on the block but their creamy flesh centers and crunchy, browned edges are sure to make them the belle at the dinner table.
Small-sized red potatoes are first steamed in the oven until just tender. They are then rolled in olive oil, “smashed” into discs and baked further until beautifully browned and roasted. A simple dash of fresh herbs, salt and pepper provides a nice balance of seasonings. Give them a try and let me know what you think.
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, 1-1/2 to 2-inch diameter
- ¾ cup water
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or rosemary, minced
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Adjust oven racks to top and lowest position. Heat oven to 500 F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange potatoes, pour water and wrap tightly with aluminum foil.
- Cook on lowest rack for 25 to 30 minutes or until paring knife or skewer slips in and out of potatoes easily.
- Remove foil and let cool for 10 minutes. Blot dry any remaining water on baking sheet with paper towels.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of oil over potatoes and roll to coat. Space potatoes evenly on baking sheet and with a potato masher, flatten into ⅓ to ½ inch thick disks.
- Sprinkle with thyme and season generously with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining oil evenly over potatoes.
- Transfer potatoes to top rack and roast for 20 to 30 minutes or until well browned.