Caldo de Res (Mexican Beef Soup)
Caldo de Res made with beef shanks, potatoes, corn, and vegetables. This Mexican beef soup is hearty, delicious and the perfect comfort food!
Servings 8 Servings
- 2 pounds bone-in beef shanks
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and pounded
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 corn, shucked and halved
- 4 large red potatoes, quartered
- 2 large carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 Mexican squash, ends trimmed and cut into 2- chunks
- 8 green beans, ends trimmed and halved
- 1/2 head cabbage, quartered
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, stems trimmed and coarsely chopped
- limes, cut into wedges
- cilantro, chopped
- hot sauce
Wash meat to remove any blood or impurities.
In a deep pot, combine beef shanks and enough water to cover. Add onions, garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves, and salt to taste.
Over medium heat, bring to a boil, skimming scum that accumulates on top. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat tender. Add more water as needed during cooking to maintain about 8 to 10 cups.
Add corn and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add potatoes and carrots and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add zucchini and green beans and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add cabbage and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add cilantro. Adjust seasonings if needed.
Ladle into serving bowls and top with additional cilantro, drizzle with lime juice and hot sauce to taste. Serve hot.
Serving: 771g | Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.9g | Protein: 45.4g | Fat: 8.3g | Saturated Fat: 2.8g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 1009mg | Potassium: 1815mg | Fiber: 8.8g | Sugar: 8.9g | Vitamin A: 5250IU | Vitamin C: 89.9mg | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 7.9mg