Mexican Rice Pudding or Arroz con Leche is rich, creamy and gluten-free. Delicious as dessert and as an anytime snack!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy rice is Arroz con Leche or Mexican rice pudding. Creamy, cinnamony, and generously studded with juicy raisins, it makes for an amazing gluten-free dessert or anytime snack.
Tips on How to Make Mexican Rice Pudding:
- Make sure to fully combine the egg with the milk before adding to the hot pot of rice and not to cook the pudding on high heat to keep from scrambling the eggs.
- The pudding is ready when the mixture coats the back of a spoon. It will be a little loose when taken off heat but will thicken nicely as it cools.
- In a pot over medium heat, combine rice, water, cinnamon sticks, and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and evaporated milk until blended. Add to the pot of rice.
- Add sugar. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add raisins and vanilla extract. Stir until dispersed. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with ground cinnamon to taste.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”