Triple Treat Chocolate Caramel Candy Bars are a delicious medley of chocolatey, chewy and crunchy! They’re easy to make and the ultimate sweet treat for holiday gift giving.
One of the best parts of the year-end holidays is the abundance of cookies, candies, and sweet treats. It’d be another ten months before we have to worry about fitting into a bikini so we can actually indulge in all our favorites with semi-abandonment.
I know it’s still months before Christmas but I already have edible gifts I am going to be making for
myself family and friends lined up and these chocolate caramel bars with a triple dose of goodness are definitely on the list. A delicious medley of chocolatey, chewy, and crunchy, they’re sure to be a hit!
Triple treat candies are like your favorite candy bar brand but better because they’re homemade! They’re so easy to make with just a few ingredients and taste absolutely scrumptious, you might never go back to storebought for your sweet fix again.
The recipe is so simple, most of the work involved is just really melting the chocolate and caramel layers over low heat and waiting for the assembled layers to chill and firm up. You’d be pleasantly surprised how the candy bars turn out so good with so little effort.
The chocolate is the major component of these chocolate caramel candy bars so use good quality. Although you can swap dark or bittersweet if you so prefer, I think creamy milk chocolate complements the buttery caramel best.
To melt the chocolate, you can either do it stovetop in a double boiler or in the microwave following the steps below. If stovetop, make sure to return the remaining half portion back on low heat to keep it melted and smooth while you work on the caramel. If in the microwave, do half first and then melt the other half when you’re ready to add the top layer.
How to Melt Chocolate over the Stovetop
- Heat a few inches of water in a small pot over low heat until hot but not boiling.
- Place a heatproof bowl on the pot, making sure the surface of the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl and the bowl fits the mouth of the pot tightly to keep the steam in.
- Combine the chocolate and vegetable shortening in the bowl. Allow to the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally until smooth.
How to Melt Chocolate in the Microwave
- In wide, shallow microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and vegetable shortening.
- Microwave on medium high for about 1 minute and then remove and stir.
- Heat again at 15 to 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until completely melted and smooth.
More Chocolate Recipes
- Mrs. Fields Double-Rich Chocolate Cookies
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Clusters
- Chocolate White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Triple Treat Chocolate Caramel Candy Bars are a delicious medley of chocolatey, chewy and crunchy! They're easy to make and the ultimate sweet treat holiday gift giving.
- 2 cups milk chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 14 ounces caramels, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup walnuts or peanuts
Line an 8 x 8 square pan with foil and lightly grease with nonstick cooking spray.
In a double boiler over hot (not boiling) water, combine chocolate and vegetable shortening. Cook, stirring until the morsels melt and the mixture is smooth.
Remove melted chocolate from heat and pour half into the prepared baking dish. Using a spatula, spread evenly. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes or until firm
Return remaining half of the chocolate to low heat.
In another pan over low heat, combine caramel, butter or margarine, and water. Stir until melted and smooth.
Add walnuts to caramel mixture and stir to combine.
Pour the caramel mixture over the chocolate-lined pan and using a spatula, spread evenly. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes or until gummy.
Spread remaining melted chocolate evenly on top of caramel filling.
Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or until firm. Cut into serving portions.