Sesame Chicken and Watermelon for a tasty, healthy and low-carb meal. With flavorful chicken over juicy watermelons, it’s an interesting combination of flavors you need to try!
I discovered this sesame chicken and watermelon recipe in one of Costco’s annual cookbooks and the fact that it had an unusual combination of fruit and meat was reason enough for me to try it. In fact, I was so intrigued by the interesting medley of flavors it was the first one I made out of the 200-plus in the book.
And was I glad I have an adventurous palate! The dish turned out far delicious than I expected with the juicy watermelon cubes a great compliment to the savory flavors of the stir-fry chicken. It’s now one of my favorite meals to make especially during warmer months when watermelons are at the finest.
How to Make Sesame Chicken
The traditional sesame seed chicken you’ll find at most restaurants consists of cubed chicken that is coated in batter and deep-fried until golden and crisp. The crunchy chicken pieces are then stir-fried in ginger and garlic and finished off in a fragrant sauce made of soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, and sesame oil.
This recipe here does away with the battering and deep-frying for an easier and healthier version. And while the chicken stir-fry is commonly served with rice, seedless watermelon makes a low carb yet just as satisfying meal option with. You get a scrumptious dinner with less work and under 245 calories per serving! #winning
This is an interesting combination of flavors you need to try! You’d be surprised how the sweet watermelons and savory chicken marry well together.
Sesame Chicken and Watermelon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, diced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a wok or wide pan over high heat oil, heat oil until it just begins to smoke.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring regularly, for about 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Lower heat to medium-high. Add ginger and garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Add soy sauce, cooking wine and sesame oil. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until most of the liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked.
- Add green onions and sesame seeds. Stir until distributed.
- On four plates, arrange diced watermelon and top with the sesame chicken. Sprinkle with additional green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Serve immediately.