I discovered this sesame chicken and watermelon recipe years ago in one of Costco’s annual cookbooks and the fact that it had an unusual combination of fruit and meat was enough to beckon me. With juicy watermelon cubes nicely complimenting stir-fried chicken chunks, it has become a favorite of mine to make especially during warmer months when watermelons are at their best.
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 skinless , boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine or extra-dry Vermouth
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger , peeled and minced
- 2 cups seedless watermelon , diced and drained
- 2 tablespoons green onions , chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds , sesame seeds
In a wok or wide pan, heat oil over high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add chicken and cook, stir regularly, for about 2 to 4 minutes or until they begin to brown.
Lower heat to medium high and add soy sauce, cooking wine, garlic and ginger. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add green onions and sesame seeds and continue to cook, stirring regularly, until chicken is cooked.
On four plates, arrange diced watermelon and top with the sesame chicken. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.