G’s mom prepared these cheese-stuffed jumbo shells last week when he was over for dinner and he couldn’t stop raving about them. Today, he prepared them for our lunch and I couldn’t stop raving either. Stuffed with creamy ricotta and colorful veggies, these pasta shells were that delicious!
|Cheese-Stuffed Jumbo Shells with Marinara Sauce|| |
- 15 pieces jumbo shells, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 mini sweet pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded
- 3 to 4 fresh button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a pot of boiling water, cook jumbo shells for about 9 minutes or until firm to bite. Drain, layer on a sheet pan and allow to cool.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until limp. Add sweet peppers, carrots and mushrooms. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender yet crisp. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and vegetable mixture. Stuff shells with mixture.
- In a greased baking dish, add half of marinara sauce and water. Arrange shells open side up in a single layer. Cover with remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle top with mozzarella cheese. Cover baking dish with foil and bake in a 400 F oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve hot.