One-Pan Chicken Stroganoff with moist chicken, egg noodles, sauteed mushrooms in a creamy sour cream sauce is hearty, tasty, and the ultimate comfort food. Quick and easy to make in 30 minutes and in one pan!
I am interrupting our week-long Christmas series today because a) I am sure you need a break from all the holiday fun stuff and b) we had this amazing chicken mushroom stroganoff for lunch and I am excited to share the recipe with you!
Now that the kids are back to school, everyone is on the hunt for meal ideas that can be put together quickly and easily without sacrificing taste. This easy chicken stroganoff recipe is definitely the answer to busy weeknights as not only is it ready in 30 minutes or less, it also cooks in one pan!
This one-pan chicken and mushroom pasta casserole maybe short on prep but not lacking on the comfort food flavors you love. It’s a wholesome dish made entirely from scratch with no canned mushroom soups in sight!
How Do You Make Stroganoff Sauce?
Stroganoff sauce is a Russian-inspired sauce with added smetana or sour cream.
While other regional variants of the sauce may consist of tomato sauce and heavy cream, stroganoff version commonly prepared in the U.S. is made of meat stock, white wine, and cream or sour cream.
What to Serve with Stroganoff
Stroganoff is usually served over a bed of pasta and it’s just a delicious on mashed potatoes or steamed rice. In this one-pot recipe, however, the noodles are already built into the dish.
You can complete this one-pan chicken stroganoff with crusty French bread and your favorite green salad or vegetable sides.
More One-Pan Pasta Recipes
One-Pan Chicken Stroganoff
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a wide, deep pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add chicken and season with salt Cook until lightly browned but NOT cooked through. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- In the pan, add butter. When it begins to melt, add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Add white wine and bring to a boil, scraping browned bits on the bottom of the pan with the back of a spoon. Continue to simmer until slightly reduced.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add egg noodles, browned chicken, and dried parsley. Stir to combine.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes or until noodles are al dente and chicken is cooked. The liquid will not be fully absorbed.
- In a bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup broth and flour. Stir until smooth. Add to the pan, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Continue to simmer until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add sour cream and stir to distribute. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed.