Eggs in a Nest with soft yolks, crisp bacon, cheese, and green onions baked in hash brown potato nests. They’re a delicious breakfast treat and totally portable for snacking on the go.
Eggs in a nest are a delicious spin-off of one of our most popular recipes on the blog, avocado egg cups. But while eggs are baked in creamy avocado halves in the latter, soft yolks, crisp bacon, and green onions are now nestled in a golden, crispy bed of hash brown potatoes.
Breakfast can’t get any more scrumptious than these hashbrown egg cups. They’re delicious, conveniently portable, and a good source of protein and carbohydrates to start your day or just anytime you need a quick boost of energy.
These baked eggs are as fun to make as they are to eat! So easy to pull together with a few staple ingredients you probably already have on hand, you can have a tasty batch ready in a cinch.
Tips on How to Make Eggs in a Nest
- Make sure the hash browns are completely thawed as the excess moisture might keep the shredded potatoes from forming together.
- After the brief baking, press down the potato mixture with a spoon to make a deeper well.
- Generously grease the muffin holes with nonstick cooking spray and allow the eggs cups to cool slightly before removing to prevent them from falling apart.
- I think these eggs are best with soft, wet yolks but if you’re going to enjoy them on the go, I suggest baking them until at hard-cooked for less mess. Follow the suggested minutes below.
- Prefer quiche-style eggs? Beat them until frothy with a bit of milk and stir in the cheese and crisp bacon. Pour the mixture into the potato cups in place of whole eggs and bake until set.
- 10 to 12 minutes for runny yolks
- 13 to 15 minutes for soft-cooked yolks
- 18-20 minutes for hard-cooked yolks
- 5 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 eggs
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onions, peeled and chopped
Grease a 12-hole muffin pan.
In a bowl, combine hash browns, 1 cup of the cheese, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Divide mixture into prepared muffin holes and using hands, press firmly onto sides and bottom of each muffin holes to form a "nest".
Bake in a 425 F oven for about 13 to 15 minutes or until hash browns are crisp and lightly browned. Using a tablespoon, press down on the potato mixture to create a deeper well.
Crack one egg into each of the potato nests. Top each egg with crumbled bacon, green onions and the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Bake in a 350 F oven for about 13 to 15 minutes or until egg whites are set.
Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool. Run a knife around the edges of each egg nests to loosen and gently lift off pan.
How Many Minutes to Bake Eggs:
Give these eggs in hashbrown nests a try for breakfast or brunch. Double the recipe as they’re sure to be a hit with the family! Enjoy!
Eggs in a Nest with soft yolks, crisp bacon, cheese, and green onions baked in hash brown potato nests. They're a delicious breakfast treat and totally portable for snacking on the go.