Banana and Cream Cheese Spring Rolls made of banana and cream cheese wrapped in spring roll wrappers and fried until golden crisp. So addictingly delicious, you’ll be hard pressed to eat just one!
I kind of debated at first whether to post the recipe for these banana and cream cheese spring rolls here or on my other cooking blog, Kawaling Pinoy, which focuses on Filipino and Asian-inspired eats. It is, after all, turon and it can’t get any more Filipino street food than this.
Also, I wasn’t sure if you’ll have easy access to the ingredients. However, I’ve seen cardaba bananas at Mexican and Latin grocery stores I frequent and they seem to be available in abundance year round. I’ve also seen spring roll wrappers at Walmart, Target, and most better supermarkets so it shouldn’t be a problem to find. Or, you can order these spring roll wrappers on Amazon (this is an affiliate link) and enjoy convenient home delivery. 🙂
Please note that spring roll wrappers are NOT the same as egg roll wrappers you commonly find at major supermarkets. Although they look the same, they’re different in texture and taste. While the latter is thicker and “eggy”, spring roll wrappers are paper thin and fry up into a shatteringly crisp crunch which is perfect for these dessert rolls.
Will you give these bananas and cream cheese spring rolls a try? I promise you’ll be the star of any party you’ll bring them to. That is if you’ll even want to share!
- 12 pieces saba bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 24 pieces Spring roll wrappers
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 48 pieces 1/2-inch thick strips
- canola oil
- Peel bananas and cut lengthwise into halves. Roll in sugar.
- Separate spring roll wrappers into individual sheets. On a flat working surface, lay wrapper like a diamond. Arrange 1 banana slice in the middle of the diamond and place 2 cream cheese slices lengthwise on top of the banana slice. Fold the bottom pointed end of wrapper over filling. Fold side ends of the sheet inward and roll into a log. Wet the pointed edge of the wrapper to completely seal.
- Roll spring rolls in sugar. Continue to wrap the remaining bananas.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat about 2-inches deep of oil. Add banana spring rolls and fry, turning once or twice, for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and caramelized.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”