Berry Chicken and Spinach Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing chock-full of verdant spinach leaves, moist chicken, juicy berries, crunchy almonds, pungent blue cheese, and a sweet and tangy dressing. With fresh, bright flavors, it is a light yet satisfying summer salad!
With warmer weather right around the corner, I am starting to plan for meals that can be put together in a cinch. Summers can get crazy hot here in Southern California and just the thought of turning on the oven to prepare a hot dinner makes me want to
crawl jump out of my skin.
Thank goodness for fresh, simple dishes such as this berry chicken and spinach salad with honey mustard dressing, I can be out of the kitchen in no time!
This berry chicken and spinach salad with honey mustard dressing is not only a delicious and satisfying meal, it’s light and healthy, too! Chock-full of verdant spinach leaves and colorful berries rich in vitamins along with poached chicken breast, crunchy almonds, and pungent blue cheese as excellent low-fat protein sources, it’s a dish you’ll feel good eating whole summer long!
Here are a few tips on how to easily make this Berry Chicken and Spinach Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing:
- The longest part of this recipe is poaching the chicken. You can easily turn this into a no-cook meal by substituting leftover rotisserie chicken. Feel free to skip the chicken if you want a quick vegetarian meal that tastes just as amazing!
- I used almond slivers but coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts will work as well. Make sure to toast the nuts for deep flavor!
- The pungent blue cheese, in my opinion, is an amazing match to the juicy berries and sweet, tangy dressing. If you want a milder cheese, you can try crumbled feta cheese, goat cheese or even Mexican queso fresco.
- You can turn this summer salad in a pinch into a year-long side salad by swapping the berries with diced green apples and dried cranberries!
- 4 (4 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons almond slivers, toasted
For the Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In small, heavy-bottomed pot, arrange chicken breasts in a single layer. Add rosemary or thyme, salt, and enough water to cover by an inch.
- Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top. When liquid begins to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until center of chicken reads 165 F.
- Immediately remove chicken from pot and allow to completely cool in the refrigerator. Slice into pieces.
- In a bowl, arrange spinach, chicken, strawberries, blueberries, blue cheese and almonds. When ready to serve, drizzle with honey mustard dressing.
For the Honey Mustard Dressing
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, honey, mustard and lemon juice. Whisk together until smooth and well combined.
- In a large saucepan, arrange chicken breasts in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Top with lemon slices and fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”