Chalkboard Back-to-School Cupcakes are as fun to make as they are to eat and a great way to start the new school year. They’re perfect as after-school snacks or as party treats.
We’re halfway through Summer and the kids will be back to school before we know it. If there’s one thing that will have them pumped up about learning their letters and numbers, it’s these Chalkboard Back-to-School Cupcakes.
I know I say this every time I post a new food craft but really, aren’t these cupcakes the cutest? They are just too adorable to eat!
How to Make Chalkboard Back-to-School Cupcakes
Like the Winnie the Pooh cupcakes from last week, these back-to-school cupcakes are made from a boxed chocolate cake mix but you can always make from scratch using your favorite recipe or get on with the fun part, the decorating, and use store-bought.
To easily find some of the supplies you will need, I’ve included affiliate links in the ingredient list below.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- Black fondant
- White frosting
- White Good & Plenty candies
- Wilton Apple Icing decorations
- Black cupcake liners
- 2.75″ biscuit cutter
If you opt to bake the cupcakes, allow them to cool completely before frosting.
Using a rolling pin, roll the black fondant to about 1/8″ thick and with the 2.75″ cookie/biscuit cutter, cut out 16 round circles.
Gently place a black fondant circle on each cupcake to cover top fully. Gently smooth out any wrinkles with fingers.
Attach the small round frosting tip to the disposable piping bag and fill the bag with white frosting. Gently squeeze the frosting bag and write ABC and/or 123 on top of each cupcake.
Apply a small amount of frosting to the back of the apple icings and white Good Plenty’s candies and carefully place on top of each cupcake.
Chalkboard Back-to-School Cupcakes are a fun project to do with the little ones. Be sure to put together enough for your little one to enjoy as a snack and to give out to classmates and friends. They’ll surely make him the coolest kid in school.
- 1 box (14.5 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups white frosting
- black fondant
- 16 pieces white Good & Plenty candies
- 16 pieces Apple icing decorations
- black cupcake liners
- 2.75" cookie cutter
- #4 or 5 small round frosting tip
- disposable piping bag
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with black cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine the chocolate cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and water. Stir well.
- Fill each muffin well about 2/3 full and bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Generously frost cupcakes with frosting.
- On a flat surface, roll out fondant to about 1/8-inch thick using a rolling pin. Cut out 16 round circles using the cookie/biscuit cutter.
- Gently place the black fondant circles on top the frosted cupcake to cover completely.
- Attach the small round frosting tip to the disposable piping bag and fill the bag with the white frosting.
- Gently squeeze the frosting bag to write ABC and/or 123 on top of each cupcake.
- Apply a small amount of frosting on the back of the apple icings and white Good & Plenty's candies. Place on top of cupcakes.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”