Chicken Soft Tacos with Secret Sauce are what’s for dinner tonight! With flavorful chicken morsels and taco fixings wrapped in soft tortillas, and then drizzled with a dreamy Del Taco-inspired sauce, they are quick and easy to make yet pack big, bold flavors.
With the weather crazy hot as it is, I like to keep our meals as simple and uncomplicated as possible. The faster I am out of the kitchen, the better. And these chicken soft tacos with secret sauce fit that like a dream. They come together with basic ingredients and minimal work yet pack all the flavors you crave.
One thing I love about these soft tacos is how they are convenient to serve al fresco. I cook the chicken, prep the taco fixings in the kitchen and set up a mini taco bar on our backyard patio. G and I get to help ourselves to the best lunch (or dinner) ever while savoring the beautiful outdoors. And if he’s up for the extra work, we take the marinated chicken up a notch by grilling them over hot coals instead of the quick pan-frying.
This also a meal you can easily pack up to bring to potlucks or to give as an awesome care package. Got a harried mom on your list in need of a break? Drop by with a Tupperware of unassembled tacos, some rice and beans, and save her a night of cooking. Her family’s dinner would just be a matter of warming up the chicken and tortillas!
And, of course, if you have a 6’1″, blue-eyed chap (or teens!) at home who always seems to be starving, double the batch and keep leftovers handy in the fridge for anytime cravings.
The secret sauce. I’ve been making these chicken soft tacos for years but it was only recently when I stumbled upon on Pinterest what was touted to be Del Taco’s secret sauce, you know, that creamy concoction they slather
haphazardly lovingly on their tacos. I’ve always thought my soft-shell tacos were pretty amazing with bottled ranch dressing but I have to admit, this secret sauce totally blows that out of the water.
Now, the cheese. While shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese might be more customary on these chicken soft tacos, I prefer to top mine with crumbles of a white, semisoft fresh Mexican cheese called queso fresco. It’s slightly salty and mild tangy tastes truly take these tacos to the top! Totally optional but highly recommended. 🙂
Chicken Soft Tacos with Secret Sauce
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 8 pieces flour tortillas
For the Secret Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- In a bowl, combine chicken, lime juice, garlic, taco seasoning mix, 1 tablespoon of the oil and brown sugar. Massage onto meat and marinate for about 4 to 5 hours. Drain chicken from the marinade and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Alternatively, grill chicken over hot coal until nicely charred and cooked through. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In an ungreased skillet over medium heat, place tortilla and cook for about 20 to 30 seconds on each side or until warm and pliable.
- Alternatively, place 4 to 5 tortillas on a microwavable plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through.
- To assemble, place chicken in the middle of warmed tortilla, top with lettuce and tomato, drizzle secret sauce, and sprinkle cheese.