Coctel de Camarones is how I get through the oppressive California summer with sanity intact. When days get too hot and sweaty, I lounge by the pool with a cocktail glass full of this spicy shrimp medley on one hand and a icy cold Corona on the other. Sometimes, for real and most times, make-believe.
- 1 pound large shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes , diced and chilled
- 1 small onion , peeled, diced and chilled
- 1 cucumber , peeled, diced and chilled
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and chopped
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 loosely packed cilantro , stems trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup shrimp stock (reserved from poaching shrimp) or clam juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup , chilled
- 1 large avocado , seeded and diced
- hot sauce to taste
- Saltine crackers
- Tortilla chips
Peel and devein shrimp. In a pot over medium heat, bring salted water into a boil. Add shrimp and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until just cooked through. Drain shrimp, reserving 1 cup of the poaching liquid. Chill shrimp and reserved stock in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Depending on size, cut shrimp into halves or thirds.
In a bowl, combine shrimp, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, jalapeno, lemon juice, cilantro, shrimp stock and ketchup. Season with about 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste.
Divide into cocktail glasses and top with avocados and additional hot sauce, if desired. Serve with saltine crackers or tortilla chips.
More Shrimp Cocktail Recipes:
Tropical Fruit Salsa with Cocktail Shrimp from Elephants and The Coconut Trees
Chipotle Shrimp Cocktail from Eat Yourself Skinny
Drunken Spicy Shameless Shrimp from Heather Homemade
Prawn and Pomelo Salad with Caramelized Coconut from Wholesome Cook