Homemade Salsa verde is an authentic Mexican salsa with big, bold flavors from tomatillos and jalapenos. It’s delicious as a dip or as an amazing sauce for tacos, burritos, enchiladas or any of your favorite food!
Salsa verde is a staple condiment in our house and every weekend, you’ll find me whipping up a big batch to (hopefully) lasts us through the week. It’s a terrific way to spice up food and pump up the flavor, we add it to everything and anything!
This salsa is not only the perfect accompaniment to crisp tortilla chips, it also makes an amazing sauce for chilaquiles, enchiladas, tacos or burritos. You’ve got to try my salsa verde chicken pasta, it’s a one-pot wonder everyone is sure to gobble up!
With all the delicious ways we like to use this salsa at home, am I glad it’s so easy to make. It’s just a matter of simmering the tomatillos and jalapeno peppers in water until softened and then pulsing them a few times in a blender or food processor with the rest of the ingredients to desired consistency.
Tips on How to Make Salsa Verde:
- If you want a deep, smoky flavor, roast the tomatillos, peppers, onion, and garlic in the oven instead. Just generously coat with olive oil and roast at 400 F for about 15 to 20 minutes or until blistered. You can also roast them in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed pan on the stove until softened and nicely charred.
- If you want to tame the spice a little, use the same amount of peppers and just scrape off the seeds before blending. This way, you get the full flavor of the jalapenos but without a lot of heat.
- Want to take this salsa verde up a notch? Add avocados!
Homemade Salsa Verde
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked
- 3 jalapenos, stemmed
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, stemmed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoons salt
- In a saucepan, combine tomatillos, jalapenos and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil for about 5 to 8 minutes or until softened. With a slotted spoon, remove from.
- In a blender, combine tomatillos, chili peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Pulse a few times until blended to process to desired consistency.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavors to meld.