Lemon Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Carrots are your new favorite side dish. Loaded with garlic, herbs, Parmesan, and fresh lemon flavor, they’re seriously addictive!
G has very simple tastes in food and is pretty easy to cook for. Getting him to eat vegetables, however, is a big struggle. He’ll go through steak and potatoes like a champ but would almost always leave his side of veggies untouched.
I say almost always because the man would actually eat vegetables IF they’re roasted. In fact, he would polish off double servings of this lemon garlic roasted broccoli and carrots in minutes and would ask for seconds!
Roasting is a quick and easy way you can take your vegetables up a notch. Not only does it yield better texture, but it also draws out the vegetables’ natural sweetness and adds a smoky layer of flavor.
The best part is, this technique leaches fewer nutrients than cooking the vegetables with water. You get deliciously seared pieces that are seriously addicting and infinitely better for you!
Tips on how to roast vegetables in the oven
- Cut the vegetables into uniform sizes to ensure even cooking.
- Drain vegetables well after rinsing as you want them to roast nicely and not cook in the steam.
- It’s best to use a baking sheet with a wide flat surface as the higher, sloped sides of a baking dish will cause more steam and turn the vegetables mushy.
- Do not overcrowd the pan and allow enough space for the vegetables to brown and crisp.
- Roast at high temperature. This will help to caramelize the vegetables and keep them from turning mushy.
Oven-roasted broccoli and carrots are a fantastic side dish for everyday family dinners as well as special occasions. Loaded with garlic, fresh herbs, and Parmesan cheese, they’re a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
You’ll love the aromatic smokiness of these roasted vegetables and bright flavors from the lemon juice and zest. Want a little heat? Add dried red pepper flakes to taste. Hungry for more? Roasted brussels sprouts with pancetta are the bomb!
Lemon Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Carrots
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced on a bias
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine broccoli, carrots, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to distribute.
- Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 450 F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender-crisp and lightly browned.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Add Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Gently toss to evenly distribute. Serve hot.