If you are looking for something delicious without a lot of guilt for game day, these veggie french bread pizzas are it! I used portabella mushrooms, sweet peppers, red onions, green onions, grape tomatoes and queso fresco to pull mine together but topping choices are almost boundless: olives, fresh basil leaves, peperoncini, caramelized onions, artichokes, kale, corn are just a few things that come to mind. Set up a “make-your-own” pizza bar and feed an army quickly and easily. Enjoy!
- 4 French bread loaves , cut lengthwise into halves
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups sauteed Portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup grape tomatoes , halved
- 1 small red onion , peeled and sliced thinly
- 5 to 6 sweet peppers , seeded, cored and sliced thinly into rings
- 1/4 cup green onions , chopped
- 12 ounces queso fresco , crumbled
- 1 pound baby Portabella mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry wine
- salt and pepper to taste
On each french bread half, spoon about 2 tablespoons marinara sauce and spread across. Layer sauteed portabella mushrooms, tomatoes, red onions,sweet peppers and green onions. Top with queso fresco. Arrange prepared rolls in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 400 F oven for about 5 minutes or until bread is crisp and cheese is slightly melted. Serve hot.
Using a damp cloth, wipe mushrooms of any dirt and sliced thinly.
In a skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring regularly, for about 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add mushrooms and cook until lightly browned. Increase heat to high and add wine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until liquid is absorbed.