Avocado Tomatillo Salsa

G and I had lunch at the Whittier branch of  El Cholo Mexican restaurant (their Los Angeles branch opened in 1921!) over the weekend. As customary in most Mexican sit-down establishments, we were served complimentary chips and salsa as precursor to our meal. The deep-fried corn chips were so warm and fresh and the salsa roja nicely roasted and perfectly spiced, I was too full for anything else other than dessert by the time our waiter came to the table to take our order. But as much as I enjoyed the salsa roja, what really piqued my interest were the gargantuan jars filled with what looked like salsa verde that lined the restaurant’s lobby. When I asked our server, he confirmed that the green stuff was, in fact, tomatillo salsa. Avocado tomatillo salsa, to be exact. And in the spirit of super duper customer service, he brought a small bowl for us to try. Mighty Lord have mercy! It was darn good stuff, I couldn’t pry the chip from the dip.

Dip for chips or drizzled over tacos and eggs, this salsa will lend a delicious heat to all your meals

Avocado Tomatillo Salsa

Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
5.0 from 2 reviews
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Yield: 5 to 6 cups
  • 10 to 12 tomatillos
  • 3 large jalapeno chilis, stems removed
  • 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
  • ½ bunch cilantro, stems trimmed
  • juice from 2 limes
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 3 avocados
  1. In a saucepan, combine tomatillos, jalapenos and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil for about 7 to 10 minutes or until softened. Remove from water.
  2. In a blender, combine tomatillos, jalapenos, onions, garlic, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Pulse to process for about 40 to 50 seconds.
  3. Cut avocados in half and discard pit. Using a spoon, scoop flesh. Add to tomatillo sauce and continue to pulse for another 30 to 40 seconds or until desired consistency.

Avocado Tomatillo Salsa

Other Delicious Things to do with Avocados:
Avocado Deviled Eggs
No-bake Avocado Lime Cheesecake
Avocado Ice Candy
Avocado Fries Cooked Two Ways

1. Shirley says

just made this and it’s sooo good! I put the avocado pit in each jar to lessen browning. A trick I learned making guacamole.

2. Maddie says

I am so excited to find this recipe! My mother ADORES the tomatillo salsa she gets from the store and she love avacados…this is perfect, especially since her birthday is next week! I now know that when she comes for her birthday dinner it will be mexican with this salsa…I think I will take Jason’s suggestion and roast the tomatillos and peppers! I have a feeling that I should make a double batch so she can have some to take home, as I do not foresee any being left from the dinner! I think I may try the BLACKENED TILAPIA FISH TACOS as well! Thank you so much for this blog! It is wonferful!!!

3. Cynthiane says

Just making sure, do you not take the seeds out of the jalapeños? Sorry if this is a silly question, I have never made salsa before. Thanks!

4. Raeanne says

Does this turn brown with the avocado in it? It sounds delicious, but I would love for it to last longer than a day or two.

• Lalaine says

Hi Raeanne

It should last in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. The lemon juice retards the browning a bit.

5. jason miller says

you should try roasting the tomatillos, onion and jalapeno, 8-10 under the broiler. It gets a very nice roasted flavor.

• Lalaine says

Hello Jason

I roast my tomatoes and serranos when I make my salsa roja but I’ve never tried it with tomatillos. Good to know, thank you so much.