This below? My. Current. Addiction. I don’t like veggies very much but although you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, sometimes you can trick an old dog. With these green bean fries, I get to enjoy good-for-you veggies under the disguise of comfort food. Vibrant green beans blanketed with crisp, garlicky, cheesy breading? #winner.
Green Bean Fries
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- canola oil
- In a pot over medium heat, bring about 4-inches of lightly-salted water to a boil. Add green beans and blanch for about 1 minute or until half done.
- With a slotted spoon, remove green beans and plunge directly into a bowl of iced water. Drain well and pat dry.
- In another shallow bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk and eggs.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning.
- Dredge green beans in flour, dip in egg mixture and then roll in breadcrumb mixture.
- Dredge the green beans again in flour, dip in egg mixture, and then roll in breadcrumbs, patting down crumbs to fully coat.
- In a deep, thick-bottomed pan over medium heat, heat about 2-inches oil. Add breaded green beans in batches and cook, turning once or twice, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Serve hot with ranch dressing.