Chicken in Sour Cream Sauce made with a rich, creamy tomato-sour cream sauce is sure to be a family favorite. Quick and easy to make yet packs full flavor, it’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Looking for a dish that’s quick and easy to make yet packs big, bold flavors? This chicken in sour cream sauce, my friends, is done in less than 30 minutes but tastes like you slaved all day in the kitchen!
Chicken pieces are first generously seasoned with paprika, briefly pan-fried for a beautiful sear, and then simmered in tomatoes, broth, and sour cream for a rich, creamy sauce that’s absolutely dreamy over rice or noodles.
Give this chicken in sour cream sauce a try for dinner tonight. Hearty, delicious, and paired with mashed potatoes or your favorite sides, it’s a guaranteed family favorite!
Chicken in Sour Cream Sauce
- 4 pounds chicken, cut into serving parts
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded, cored and cubed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and cubed
- Season chicken with paprika and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a wide skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add chicken and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- In the skillet, remove excess oil except for about 1 tablespoon. Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add tomatoes, mashing with the back of a spoon.
- In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, reserved tomato juice, and flour. Stir until well blended. Add to skillet, whisking to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken. Lower heat, cover, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sour cream and stir to combine. Add bell peppers.
- Continue to cook on low for about 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bell peppers are tender yet crisp. Serve hot.