Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich with homemade chunky cookies dipped in melted chocolate, sandwiched with vanilla ice cream, and rolled in mini chocolate chips for the ultimate Summer treat!
Fourth of July is less than a week away and if you’re looking for an impressive treat that’s sure to wow your crowd, this ice cream sandwich recipe is the thing to make.
Combining two all-time favorites in one, these ice cream cookie sandwiches are the ultimate Summer treat!
How to Make Ice Cream Sandwiches
Ice cream sandwich is traditionally made of a slice of vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two rectangular chocolate cake wafers. We are, however, kicking things up a notch in this recipe by using homemade chunky chocolate chip cookies.
But we don’t stop there! Before adding a generous scoop of ice cream, we are dipping the half-part of each freshly-baked cookie in creamy melted milk chocolate for an extra layer of yum!
If you want to simplify the process, you can skip baking the cookies from scratch and use refrigerated cookie dough or use packaged cookies such as Chips Ahoy (choose chewy for a soft texture).
I love the classic vanilla ice cream here but feel free to swap with your favorite flavors. You can double on the chocolate and use chocolate ice cream or enjoy a cool refreshing taste and go with mint chocolate ice cream.
Want to spruce them up for a party? Roll them in:
- crushed Oreos
- chopped roasted peanuts, almonds or pistachios
- mini M&M’s
- colorful sprinkles
- shredded coconut
- Fruit loops, Rice Krispies or cornflakes
Make sure to keep the ice cream sandwiches frozen until ready to serve. If making ahead, store in individual resealable storage bags and freeze for up to three months.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla on using a hand mixer on medium speed for about 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Continue mixing the batter until combined.
- Add 2 cups of the milk chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Using 2 tablespoons, scoop the cookie dough and place on the prepared baking sheet at about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwaveable bowl, microwave the remaining 1 cup of milk chocolate chips at 30-second intervals until completely melted.
- Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate and arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet to set.
- Once the chocolate has set, place a scoop of ice cream on the back of one cookie and then sandwich with another cookie.
- Roll the cookie in mini chocolate chips to cover the ice cream portion. Keep frozen until ready to serve.