Disneyland’s Hot Chocolate Copycat that’s creamy and chocolatey at every sip! Rich and indulgent, it’s the perfect treat for cold winter days!
We’ve been having intermittent rain over the Thanksgiving weekend and couple the heavy downpour with an already chilly Fall weather, G and I were in an absolute need of something piping hot to drink. In crazy cold days like these, what could be better than a rich and indulgent hot chocolate to cozy up to?
Disneyland is our favorite destination during Christmas season but while people from all over come for the rides, Mickey and the gang, and the late-night fireworks, it’s all about the footlong churros and the hot chocolate for me. Have you ever tried Disneyland’s hot chocolate? Best chocolate drink EVER!
But as much I’d love to drown myself in a decadent cup all day, every day, a visit to the theme park is not always feasible. What best way to satisfy my regular cravings than making it myself?
This recipe is a modified version of a Disneyland’s hot chocolate copycat I found online years ago. The original copycat was a little too overpowering even for my taste so I’ve made slight adjustments to tame the richness. Even with the changes in measurements, rest assured that this hot chocolate is still as creamy, chocolatey and indulgent as Disneyland’s! Be forewarned, this is a very RICH chocolate drink. I am not sure if you’ll thank or hate me later ’cause you’ll surely be needing that extra hour on the treadmill. 🙂
Enjoying a cup (or two) of Disneyland’s hot chocolate at home can’t get any easier (and cheaper!) than this. Just make sure to stir the cocoa powder and grated chocolate with a bit of warm milk into a smooth paste as they will be very hard to whisk and rid of lumps when added straight to the saucepot.
Remember your hot chocolate drink is as good as the chocolate you use so splurge on high-quality cocoa powder and chocolate bars. I like Scharffen Berger which is what Disneyland use in their hot chocolate drink, but I’ve also had delicious success with Guittard or Ghirardelli. Give this Disneyland’s hot chocolate copycat a try and keep warm, my friends!
Disneyland's Hot Chocolate Copycat
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate, grated
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine milk and heavy cream. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Do not bring to a boil!
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder, grated chocolate, and about 1/2 cup of the heated milk. Stir until smooth. Slowly add to saucepan, whisking vigorously until completely combined.
- Add condensed milk and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. Simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into serving cups. Top with whipped cream and lightly dust with ground cinnamon or cocoa powder, if desired.