Easy Peasy Cheesy Mayo Chicken is quick and easy to make and is sure to become a family favorite. It’s moist, flavorful, and melt-in-your-mouth tender using one simple trick!
If you’re looking for an easy dinner with big flavor, this baked chicken with mayo fits the bill. It’s ready in minutes using simple pantry ingredients, yet it tastes like you’ve spent the whole afternoon in the kitchen.
I use mayo as a topping for many of my favorite proteins, from salmon, tilapia, to chicken, and I always had spectacular results. Once you try this simple trick, it will become your favorite method for baking meat and seafood, too.
You will be hard-pressed to overcook and dry out anything in the oven again!
- Pound the chicken breast with a meat mallet or the back of knife to uniform thickness for even cooking.
- Combine the mayo-cheese when just about ready to top the chicken as the mayo might liquify over time and slide off the chicken when baking.
- If the topping is browning too much before the chicken is cooked through, loosely tent with foil.
The mayo creates a delicious crust that keeps the meat melt-in-your-mouth tender while caramelizing into a golden, creamy mess. The delightful combination of succulent chicken and cheesy topping makes a dinner meal the whole family can’t get enough of!
Serve this easy peasy cheesy mayo chicken breasts as the main dish for lunch or dinner with sides of rice, potatoes, or roasted veggies.
Storage and reheating instructions
- Refrigerate leftovers in a container with a tight-fitting lid for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place in a baking dish and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of chicken broth or water. Heat in a 400 F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center of the chicken reads 165 F.
- 4 (4-ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place chicken between two sheets of plastic film. Starting from the thickest part, pound the chicken with a meat mallet to flatten.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet or oven-safe baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Spoon the mixture over chicken fillets, spreading to cover the surface completely.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center reads 165 F.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest for about 3 to 5 minutes before slicing. Serve hot.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”