I don’t really know why this is called Howell’s bread. I adapted this bread appetizer from a recipe pamphlet I bought from a thrift shop years ago and the booklet doesn’t provide much of a history or background for the recipes listed. All I know is, every time I bring this cheesy loaf of heaven to a party, it’s gone in sixty seconds.
- 1 loaf sourdough French bread
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup canned diced green chilies
- 1 cup cheddar jack cheese , shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon of green onions , chopped
Slice the bread lengthwise.
In a bowl, combine butter and garlic powder. In another bowl, combine mayonnaise and diced chilies.
Spread butter mixture on top of each half of bread loaf. Spread mayonnaise mixture on top of butter mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and then with paprika.
Bake in a 400 F oven until brown and bubbly. Sprinkle with green onions and cut into serving pieces.