One-Pan Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese with broccoli and a creamy sauce is the ultimate Fall comfort food. And it’s ready in 30 minutes and in one pan!
One-Pan Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese is our delicious Fall take on everyone’s favorite comfort food. With al dente noodles in a creamy butternut squash sauce, it’s a wonderful welcome to Autumn flavors!
If you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, this macaroni cheese readies in 30 minutes and cooks in one pan. You get an amazing dish everyone will love without breaking a sweat!
And if you’re looking for delicious ways to sneak in veggies, the broccoli florets tossed in with the noodles and the puree butternut squash in the sauce makes this a meal you’ll feel good serving the whole family.
To cut down on prep time, I use canned butternut squash puree you can get at most major supermarkets. If you prefer fresh squash puree, here are three ways to make it at home:
- Slice the butternut squash crosswise through the stem in half, scoop out the seeds and arrange cut-side down in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast in a 375 oven for about 40 to 50 minutes or until tender, scoop out the squash meat and puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. This is the most time-consuming method but I love the depth of flavor!
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds and cut the flesh into chunks. Place in a dish with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom, cover, and microwave on HIGH for about 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Drain the liquid and puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Place the butternut squash in a saucepan with about 1/2 inch of water and cook, covered, on medium heat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain the liquid and puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 10 ounces butternut squash puree
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 10 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- In a wide pan, heat oil. Add onions and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add chicken stock, milk, heavy cream, puree squash, and nutmeg. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and stir to combine. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli and stir to combine. Cover and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetable is tender-crisp, pasta is al dente, and sauce is thickened.
- Add cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined and cheese is melted. Serve hot.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
Leave a Comment