Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Dip made of cream cheese, diced green chilies, shredded cheese, and fresh jalapenos is the ultimate party appetizer! Cheesy, creamy and with just the right amount of heat, this cream cheese dip is absolutely addicting!
Jalapeno poppers are the appetizer of choice in our house. They’re always first on our finger food list when we invite people over for game night or when we want a quick snack for an afternoon of TV-binging so when I came across the idea of a jalapeno popper dip on Pinterest and realized we could actually enjoy all the cheesy, creamy and spicy flavors we love without all the work, I’ve been churning up batch after batch every chance I get.
good great stuff!
While you can certainly top the cream cheese mixture with buttered bread crumbs for a delicious layer of texture, I went for the “cheesy than crunchy” route and topped it with more shredded cheese instead (I used an oaxaca and queso quesadilla Mexican cheese blend which is perfect for melting). For an extra kick of spice and a pop of color, I topped the mixture with fresh jalapeno slices to roast as the dip baked in the oven.
Digging into all that gooey melted cheese with my corn chips, I think I made the right choice. 🙂
Whether it’s breadcrumbs or more cheese, this jalapeno popper dip will not disappoint. The cream cheese, mayo, shredded cheese, diced green chilies, and fresh jalapeno peppers marry into the ultimate appetizer that will have everyone battling over who gets to scoop up most!
Serve with tortilla chips, crisp bagel toasts, wheat crackers or cut up fresh veggies (think carrot, celery and jicama sticks, cauliflower and broccoli florets) and you have a sure party hit.
Cream cheese jalapeno dip is not only a crowd favorite, it’s also easy and convenient to make for a large gathering. You can easily double the batch to feed an army and you can even prep it in advance for no-hassle entertaining. Just combine all the ingredients together, transfer to an oven-safe serving dish, keep in the fridge up to 3 days and pop in the oven until warm and bubbly on the day of the event.
Three large jalapenos deliver the perfect level of heat for me but feel free to adjust the amount according to your personal tolerance. I also like to bake this party dip in a 6-inch cast iron skillet to retain the heat longer but you can just as easily make it in a shallow baking dish.
And as if it’s scoopaliciousness is not enough, this cream cheese dip is pretty customizable, too. This is a recipe you can use as a base you can easily jazz up with your choice add-ins.
What to add to Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Swap the diced green chilies with chopped up roasted pimientos for beautiful color.
- Stir in flaked crabmeat to the dip and serve with fried wonton strips. <–the bomb!
- Replace mayo with greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream for a lightened up version.
- Add chopped ham and crushed pineapple (drained) to the mix for a sweet, salty and spicy combo that’s out of this world!
- Toss in crisp bacon and green onions for a smoky flavor.
Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Dip
- 3 jalapenos
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups Mexican Cheese blend, shredded
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) diced green chilies, drained
- Seed and dice 2 of the jalapenos. Slice the remaining one jalapeno into thin rounds.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, mayonnaise, and garlic powder with an electric mixer on LOW speed until smooth and fluffy.
- Add 2 cups of the shredded Mexican cheese blend, diced green chilies, and the diced jalapenos.
- Transfer cream cheese mixture into a cast iron skillet or baking dish and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and the sliced jalapenos rounds.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly and top is lightly browned. Serve immediately.