Pumpkin Loaf is moist. tender and loaded with pumpkin flavor. It’s a delicious baked treat for breakfast or anytime snack and perfect for holiday gift-giving!
A previous co-worker of mine brought this pumpkin loaf to work a few years ago and gave me a couple of slices to try. Folks, it was the best pumpkin bread I’ve had in a long while! Heck, it was the best bread I’ve ever had, period!
Soft, moist and with deep pumpkin flavor, it was truly an amazing Fall treat!
I was lucky to wrangle the recipe from her and I’ve made it many times since that first delectable bite. With wonderful notes of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg, it always made the house smell so heavenly!
This pumpkin bread loaf is so quick and simple to make, you can easily bake up a few batches to enjoy throughout the day or to give out as holiday gifts. Nothing beats a warm, delicious piece of pumpkin bread and a piping hot cup of cocoa to cozy up on cool Autumn mornings.
How to Make Pumpkin Puree
I use canned pumpkin puree for convenience’s but feel free to swap homemade for unbeatable flavor.
- Cut the stem part and discard. Split the pumpkin in half from top to bottom and scoop out the seeds and fibers.
- Place the pumpkin halves flesh side down on a baking sheet and roast in a 350 F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out flesh from the skins. Transfer pumpkin in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Use as directed in this bread loaf and freeze the remaining puree in resealable bags for other pumpkin recipes (may I sugges this no-churn pumpkin ice cream and these pumpkin cream cheese muffins?)
Watch the Video and See How Easy it is to Make
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Stir until well-dispersed.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and shortening. Using a hand mixer, cream together until smooth and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add pumpkin and milk to egg mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until just smooth.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake in a 350 F oven for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and brush top with butter, if desired. Allow to slightly cool and remove from pan. Slice into serving pieces.