Pumpkin Loaf that’s soft, moist and loaded with pumpkin flavor. It’s a delicious baked treat for breakfast or anytime snack and perfect for gift-giving!
One of my good friends at work brought this pumpkin loaf and gave me a couple of slices to try. Folks, it was the best pumpkin bread I’ve had in a long while! Heck, it was the best bread I’ve ever had period! Soft, moist and with deep pumpkin flavor, it was truly an amazing Fall treat!
I was lucky to wrangle the recipe from her and I’ve made it many times since that first delectable bite. With wonderful notes of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg, my house smelled so heavenly!
This pumpkin loaf is so quick and simple to make, you can easily bake up a few batches to enjoy throughout the day or to give out as holiday gifts. Nothing beats a warm, delicious piece of pumpkin bread and a piping hot cup of cocoa to cozy up on cool Autumn mornings.
I use canned pumpkin puree for convenience’s sake but feel free to swap homemade. Here are the simple steps on how to easily make your own pumpkin puree:
- Cut the stem part and discard. Split the pumpkin in half from top to bottom and scoop out the seeds and fibers.
- Place the pumpkin halves flesh side down on a baking sheet and roast in a 350 F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out flesh from the skins. Transfer pumpkin in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Use as directed in this bread loaf and freeze the remaining puree in resealable bags for future recipes (no-churn pumpkin ice cream coming up tomorrow!)
Pumpkin Loaf that's soft, moist and loaded with pumpkin flavor. It's a delicious baked treat for breakfast or anytime snack and perfect for gift-giving!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Stir until well-dispersed.
In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and shortening. Using a hand mixer, cream together until smooth and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add pumpkin and milk to egg mixture. Stir until combined.
Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until just smooth.
Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake in a 350 F oven for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from oven and brush top with butter, if desired. Allow to slightly cool and remove from pan. Slice into serving pieces.