Sausage Tortellini Soup chockful of spicy Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, and baby spinach is hearty, delicious, and the perfect meal for chilly weather. Quick and easy to make and cooks in one pot!
We’re finally seeing colder weather here in my neck of the woods and it’s about time! I’ve had it with this sweltering Summer heat and I am so ready for BER-RRR months.
We’ve indeed been enjoying friendlier temperatures this week but not enough to bust out the woolen garb at the back of my closet. There’s enough chill in the air, though, for me to take down my favorite Dutch oven from my upper cupboards and get soup going.
We have a list of staple soups we love to cozy up to on winter months and I will be posting them here on the blog as I make them. So, please, check back often and see what deliciousness I am up to. 🙂
First up on the soup list is this sausage tortellini soup which deliciously fed G and me for lunch today. Chockful of spicy Italian sausage, cheese tortellini, and baby spinach in a flavorful tomato-based broth, it’s both hearty and delicious!
I served our piping-hot bowlfuls with crusty French bread and that’s just about we needed for a truly satisfying meal.
Quick and easy to make, this tortellini soup is perfect for busy weeknights. It readies in minutes and cooks in one pot for less clean-up. All the big, hearty flavors with not a lot of work!
Unfortunately, it’s one soup I don’t care too much for the leftovers. I like my pasta firm to bite and I find the tortelloni absorb a lot of the liquid and tend to lose their texture when defrosted and reheated. In fact, I suggest adding them to the pot a few minutes before you’re ready to serve so they don’t overcook.
Add sausage tortellini soup to your cold-weather comfort foods, it’s a satisfying one-pot meal that’s a guaranteed dinner winner! In the mood for more? This easy cheesy broccoli soup is a personal favorite!
- 1 pound mild or hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortelloni
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add Italian sausage. Cook, breaking apart into the back of a spoon until it begins to render fat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until softened and meat is no longer pink. Drain excess grease from pot.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add tortelloni and cook for about 5 to 8 or until just about tender.
- Add spinach and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until just wilted.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”
Leave a Comment