Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup is rich, creamy, and loaded with tender broccoli bits and cheesy goodness. It takes simple pantry ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make for a hearty warm-you-up comfort food!
It’s Fall season and we all know what that means. It’s time to break out the stock pot and get going with our favorite soup recipes!
We have chicken noodle, sausage tortellini, and baked potato soups on regular rotation at home but this broccoli and cheese soup is my top pick of the bunch. Rich, creamy and loaded with tender broccoli and cheesy goodness, it’s heaven on a spoon!
Not only is this broccoli cheese soup recipe incredibly tasty, it’s quick and easy to make, too. All you need are a handful of ingredients and 30 minutes to have a potful of comfort food you’ll love cozying up to all year round.
Tips on How to Make Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- If you want to cut down on the cook time, use frozen broccoli. Thaw until defrosted and chop finely.
- For a creamy texture, do not allow the soup to come to a rolling boil once the cream is added in to keep it from curdling or separating.
- Use a block of cheddar and grate yourself. Pre-shredded cheese has additives that keep it from melting well.
- If you want to trim the calories, swap the heavy cream with milk or half and half.
- For added color, taste and nutrition, you can also add shredded carrots along with the broccoli.
- The soup will continue to thicken as it stands. If you want to reheat leftovers, gently warm up on low heat and add broth or milk in 1/2 cup increments to loosen to desired consistency.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup
I usually enjoy my broccoli cheese soup with a hefty chunk of crusty french bread to sop up every indulgent drop but you can certainly serve it with cheesy garlic bread, baked potato or sandwich, and a green salad for a complete meal.
Easy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups finely chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add flour and whisk until blended. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes, whisking regularly.
- Slowly add broth, whisking vigorously to prevent lumps. Bring to boil until slightly thickened.
- Add broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 to 15 minutes or until very tender.
- Add heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and stir to distribute. Continue to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Ladle into bowl and top with the remaining shredded cheese if desired. Serve hot.