Skillet Potatoes and Bacon makes a simple yet spectacular addition to any dinner meal. With crisp edges, creamy centers, and loads of flavor, the everyone will be fighting over the last piece!
This skillet potatoes and bacon dish is one of my favorite ways to serve up potatoes and for good reason. So simple to make, all you need are basic ingredients and less than 30 minutes to ready from the kitchen to table. It pairs well with your dinner roast and is just as amazing with your breakfast eggs. With crisp edges, creamy centers, and loads of flavor, the potatoes are 100% addicting you might as well double the batch!
The recipe is pretty customizable, it’s really more of a technique than a recipe. You can easily halve or double the ingredients depending on the servings you need and you can also add your own spin of seasonings or herbs to fit your tastes. Smoked paprika, dried red chili pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese, chopped rosemary, thyme or parsley are just some of the ways you can deliciously switch up the flavor.
Here are a few quick tips on how to have this skillet potatoes and bacon ready to enjoy in no time:
- Cut the potatoes into uniform sizes to ensure even cooking. Parboil them just until they start to soften but not cooked all the way through so they don’t fall apart when finished off in the skillet.
- Use a wide, heavy-bottomed skillet (cast iron works best!) for steady heat and lots of surface area to beautifully crisp the potatoes. Don’t be overzealous with turning the potatoes, give them a few minutes to brown nicely before flipping.
- I like to use Kosher salt as the coarser crystals add a nice crunch to the outer skin without oversalting the potatoes. Add the minced garlic on the last few minutes of cooking so they don’t burn and turn bitter.
Skillet Potatoes and Bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved lengthwise
- kosher salt
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- freshly-ground pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine potatoes, about 1 teaspoon salt, and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil for about 3 to 5 minutes or just until potatoes start to soften but not completely cooked through.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally until it renders fat and crisps. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add potatoes to the pan with cut sides down. Cook, turning as needed for about 7 to 10 minutes or until nicely browned and tender.
- Add garlic, bacon, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring to combine, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic lightly browns.
- Garnish with chopped green onions. Serve hot.