Ultimate Baked Potato Soup loaded with potato chunks, bacon bits, green onions, shredded cheese, and sour cream plus a thick, creamy broth you’d want to dive into! Hearty and delicious, it’s the ultimate comfort food!
I’ve been wanting to share with you loaded baked potato soup recipe for months but I thought I’d wait until the days got a little cooler and turning on the oven to bake a handful of potatoes wouldn’t be such an ordeal.
Well, folks, we’re now right smack of Fall. It’s soup season, ya’ all! Here now, the Ultimate Baked Potato Soup!
Loaded with potato chunks, bacon bits, shredded cheese, green onions and sour cream, soup can’t get any better than this! It’s a sinful bowl of goodness that’s so worth the fat pants. 🙂
Serve it with crusty bread and a side of tossed salad, and you have the ultimate comfort food. Thick, hearty and delicious, this ultimate baked potato soup is the best way to keep warm in chilly weather. Enjoy!
Ultimate Baked Potato Soup
- 4 large potatoes
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- Wash potatoes and drain well. Prick potatoes once or twice with the tines of a fork and wrap each potato with foil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 425 F oven for about 45 to 60 minutes or until tender but not falling apart. Remove foil and allow potatoes to cool to touch. With a knife, peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, add bacon and cook until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- In the pot, add onions to the rendered bacon fat and cook, stirring regularly, until softened. Transfer mixture to the bowl of potatoes.
- In the pot, melt butter. Sprinkle flour on top of butter, stirring regularly until smooth.
- Slowly add half and half, whisking vigorously until thick and smooth.
- Gradually add milk, whisking vigorously.
- Add the potato and onion mixture. Lower heat to a simmer.
- Add Asiago cheese and stir until melted. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle into individual bowls. Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions and the reserved bacon bits.
First Published: September 23, 2015