If I was to define the direction of Onion Rings and Things, I suppose I could sum it up in three words: everyday comfort food. With loaded baked potatoes, sweet chili bacon-wrapped chicken tenders and cheesy biscuits abound, this cooking blog is a reflection of what I love to eat. The sweeter, the saltier, the fatter, the merrier. But occasionally, I do enjoy and share here food that are good and good for you. This cucumber, lime and chia fresca definitely fits that bill. A delicious way to hydrate and energize as well as a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals, this fresh water drink is fast becoming my favorite summer refreshment.
I like to sweeten this agua fresca with simple syrup but you can, if desired, substitute honey or maple syrup to taste. Enjoy!
- 3 cucumbers peeled and chopped
- 6 cups water
- juice of 3 limes
- 1 cup simple syrup
- ¼ cup white or black chia seeds
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- In a blender, combine ⅔ of cucumbers and 2 cups of the water. Process until smooth. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain mixture.
- In a large pitcher, combine the strained cucumber water, chopped cucumbers, the remaining 4 cups water, lime juice and simple syrup. Add chia seeds. Stir well to combine and allow to stand for about 10 to 15 minutes or until chia seeds expand. Serve in a tall glass over ice.
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, combine water and sugar. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.