Asparagus and Cashew Stir-fry with tender-crisp asparagus and crunchy cashews served over nutty brown rice. A vegan dish that’s as nutritious as it is delicious!
As you can see from the recipes on the blog, I am all about bacon and cream cheese and deep-fried chicken tenders and all the good stuff that are not exactly kind on the hips. But as much as I love a thick slice of chocolate cake slathered with vanilla frosting year round, come January, I am on the eat healthy #2017goals bandwagon like everyone else.
Thank goodness for this delicious asparagus and cashew stir-fry, it makes eating healthy super easy. Chock full of crisp-tender asparagus, crunchy cashews, and nutty brown rice, and clocks it at less than 400 calories per serving, feel-good food has never tasted this good!
Tips on How to Stir Fry Vegetables:
- As stir-frying is done on high flame, use oil with a high smoke point such as peanut, safflower, canola or grapeseed oil.
- To keep from spillage and to allow ingredients room to make contack with the heated surface, use a wok or a wide-bottomed pan with slanted sides.
- Stir-frying is a quick process so have your sauce and vegetables prepped and ready to go.
- Cut the asparagus in uniform sizes to ensure even cooking.
Asparagus and Cashew Stir-fry
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 cup vegetable broth (reserved from poaching the asparagus)
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup cashews, lightly salted
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Fill a bowl halfway with ice and enough water to cover ice.
- In a pot over medium heat, bring lightly salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook for about 20 to 30 seconds or until half-done.
- With a slotted spoon, remove asparagus from the poaching liquid. Reserve about 1 cup of poaching liquid and allow to cool.
- Plunge asparagus into the bowl of iced water until cold. Drain very well.
- In a bowl, combine reserved poaching liquid, soy sauce, and cornstarch. Stir until blended.
- In a wok or skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring regularly, until softened.
- Add asparagus and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Add liquid mixture and cook, stirring gently to combine, for about 30 to 40 seconds or until sauce is thickened.
- Add cashews and stir to combine.
- Serve hot over brown rice.