Instant Pot Honey Lemon Chicken with amazing sweet and tangy flavors is easy to prep with simple ingredients and is ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s the perfect weeknight meal!
This honey lemon chicken was one of my favorite things to make in a slow cooker but ever since my first batch of roasted potatoes in a pressure cooker, I am pretty much obsessed with my Instant Pot and use it at every opportunity.
It took me awhile to warm up to what I thought was just another appliance to clutter my already cramped kitchen counter but after my first taste of its convenience, Instant Pot has become my best friend forever. Anything that can churn out perfectly moist and flavorful chicken in thirty minutes or less, I am all for it.
If you’re looking for quick and easy weeknight meals, this Instant Pot honey lemon chicken needs to be on your menu rotation. Easy to prep using simple ingredients and with amazing sweet and tangy flavors you’ll get faster than it would take to warm up the oven, you’ll have dinner on the table in no time!
A few tips on how to make the most delicious honey lemon chicken in an Instant Pot:
- I used store bought lemon pepper seasoning to amp up the lemon flavor of the dish. If you don’t have any on hand or wish to make your own from scratch, combine 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon zest and about 2 tablespoons of freshly crushed black pepper. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake in the oven on the lowest setting until the zest completely dry. Using a spice grinder, grind to desired texture. Season the chicken thighs with about 1 teaspoon of the mixture and salt to taste.
- If you prefer boneless chicken dark meat, decrease the “pressure cook time” 2 to 3 minutes less. You can easily double the recipe, just add 2 to 3 minutes per additional pound of bone-in chicken thighs.
- Once cooked, the chicken will be sitting in an amazing pool of sweet and tangy sauce I love to spoon over steamed rice or noodles! If you prefer more a thicker glaze, turn on the SAUTE feature of the Instant Pot after the chicken has been pressure cooked and continue to cook, uncovered, for about 1 to 2 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- If you want a crispier skin, arrange the chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Instant Pot Honey Lemon Chicken with amazing sweet and tangy flavors is easy to prep with simple ingredients and is ready in less than 20 minutes. It's the perfect weeknight meal!
- 1 pound bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup juice) and zested
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
Trim chicken thighs of excess fat. Season with lemon pepper seasoning.
PRESS the SAUTE mode button on the Instant Pot. When HOT appears on the display, add oil and heat with the Instant Pot lid open.
Add chicken in a single layer with skin side down. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned and then turn to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove chicken and drain excess oil in the Instant Pot.
Return chicken to the pot, arranging with skin side up. Add garlic.
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, water, and soy sauce. Stir until well blended and pour over chicken. Press KEEP WARM/CANCEL button. Close and lock the lid, making sure the floating valve is set on SEALING. Press the POULTRY button, use the plus and minus buttons to adjust the cooking time to 12 minutes.
Once done, use quick release by pressing CANCEL and then turning the steam floating valve on the lid to VENTING position. Open lid. If you want to reduce the sauce, press the SAUTE button and cook, with the lid open, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is reduced. Serve hot.