Composition Notebook Back-to-School Cupcakes are super fun and easy to make with candy decorations and fondant. They’re perfect as snack treats for the kids or as gifts for teachers!
Happy Monday! Today we’re kicking off our weeklong Back-to-school extravaganza and I couldn’t be more excited! I’ve been looking forward to this for months!
Every day this week, I will be featuring back-to-school fun food, crafts, and printables to get the kiddos pumped up about learning. The series had a headstart with chalkboard back-to-school cupcakes a few days ago and I am following them up with this composition Notebook version that is just as super cool.
How to Make Composition Notebook Back-to-School Cupcakes
These back-to-school cupcakes were baked from a box mix but feel to use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe or use store-bought to get down to the fun part which is putting them together!
For your convenience, I’ve included in the supply list below affiliate links where you can easily find some of the supplies needed.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix, any brand
- Black cupcake liners
- Chocolate frosting
- Wilton Cookies and Cream Brownie Crunch sprinkles
- White fondant
- Rolling pin
- Apple Icing Decorations
If you choose to bake the cupcakes either from a box or from scratch, give them time to cool completely before frosting. Also, try to use black liners for the best effect.
Dip each frosted cupcake into the Cookies & Cream sprinkles to fully coat the top.
Using a rolling pin, gently roll out a small portion of the fondant to about 1/8-inch thick. Use a little bit of powdered sugar to keep it from sticking and make it easier to roll.
With a sharp paring knife, cut out the fondant into rectangles about 1-inch in width and 1/2-inch in length. Place a small amount of chocolate frosting on the back of to fondant to help glue on top of the cupcakes.
Apply a small amount of chocolate frosting on the back of the apple icing decorations and place on top of the cupcake.
More Back-to-School Food and Crafts:
Here are what we have on the blog so far. Make sure to check back often as I am going to be adding more cool stuff on the list!
- Winnie the Pooh Snack Cup Toppers
- Chalkboard Back-to-School Cupcakes
- Teacher Appreciation FREE Treat Bag Toppers Printable
- Star Wars Back-to-School FREE Printables bundle
See you tomorrow!
- 1 box (14.5 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chocolate frosting
- Wilton Cookies & Cream sprinkles
- white fondant
- 24 pieces Apple Icing decorations
- black cupcake liners
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with black cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine the chocolate cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and water. Stir well.
- Fill each muffin well about 2/3 full and bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely. Generously frost each cupcake with chocolate frosting.
- Place the cookies and cream candy sprinkles on a shallow plate and dip each frosted cupcake to fully coat the top.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out a small portion of the fondant to about 1/8-inch thick. With a sharp paring knife, cut out the fondant into rectangles about 1-inch in width and 1/2-inch in length.
- Place a small amount of chocolate frosting on the back of to fondant to help glue on top of the cupcakes.
- Apply a small amount of chocolate frosting on the back of the apple icing decorations and place on top of the cupcake below the white fondant rectangle.
“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators.”