Crab Rangoon Wonton Cups with all the flavors of your favorite Chinese appetizer but baked for less guilt snacking. Crispy, creamy and tasty, they’re a guaranteed party hit!
Crab rangoons are my absolute favorite finger food ever. I am so obsessed with these crab puffs, I can easily inhale a dozen without coming up for air! With crispy wonton shells filled with a savory mixture of cream cheese and flaked crab meat, they’re pretty hard to resist.
But since I’ve embarked yet again on a weight loss regimen and vowed to eat healthier in 2018, I have to lay off these glorious deep-fried dumplings for awhile. Thank goodness for crab rangoon wonton cups! I get to savor all the delicious flavors of the classic Chinese appetizer but
without the with less guilt.
Why Baked Crab Rangoon Wonton Cups are Better:
- They’re baked so less fat and calories for the same amount of servings. If you want to trim them down further, swap the cream cheese with a low-fat variety or with Neufchatel cheese.
- They’re easier to make with no folding and frying involved. Perfect for a large crowd!
- They not only turn out as crispy as the deep-fried version, they stay crispy longer, too!
These baked crab dumplings are so fun to make and totally customizable to fit everyone’s taste!
Tips on How to Make Crab Rangoon Cups:
- I use a mini muffin tin for super cute bite sizes but feel free to use regular muffin tins if you want them larger.
- Lightly spritz the wonton wrappers with cooking spray to help them brown and crisp in the oven.
- Want added crunch? Fold in chopped water chestnuts to the cream cheese mixture.
- Want a touch of color? Stir in chopped sweet red peppers.
- Want to amp up the flavor? Try 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder.
I like to use canned lump crab meat but feel free to use imitation crab, if you like. Pre-bake the wonton cups until golden and crisp up, use a scoop to easily fill in the cups, and then pop them back in the oven until the filling mixture is heated through.
Sweet chili sauce is my personal favorite but plum sauce, duck sauce or sweet and sour sauce are great dipping options, too!
If you’re looking for the perfect Football game eats, baked crab rangoon cups are sure to be party hit! They’re so pretty and so tasty, guests will definitely be lining up and begging for more. Good thing the recipe can be doubled (or tripled!) for a large crowd and cream cheese filling can be prepped in advance for stress-free entertaining.
Please note that although I find the baked wonton cup shells stay crispy longer than the fried version, I don’t recommend baking them hours in advance of the event and holding them outside of refrigeration because of food safety.
Want more crispy wonton fun in your life? These raspberry cream cheese wontons are sweet bites of heaven!
Crab Rangoon Wonton Cups
- 12 ounces wonton wrappers
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces canned crab meat, drained well and flaked
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Lightly grease mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Place one wonton wrapper on each muffin cup and lightly spritz with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 350 F for about 8 to 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese with hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Add crab meat, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and 3/4 of the green onions. Stir to combine.
- Using a scoop, fill wonton cups with cream cheese mixture.
- Return to oven to bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until filling is heated through.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining green onions. Serve immediately with dipping sauce of choice.