Creamy Cucumber Salad with sweet onions and a tangy mayo dressing. Cool and refreshing, it’s the perfect side dish for cookouts and backyard barbecues!
It’s amazing how something so basic and simple as this creamy cucumber salad can be so satisfying and delicious. It has a short list of ingredients an comes together in minutes yet manages to always be the star of the party.
If you’re looking for the perfect side dish for your Summer cookouts and picnics, this cucumber salad recipe is for you! Cool and refreshing, it makes a delicious counter flavor for the rich, hearty barbecues we love to enjoy during warmer months.
Tips on How to Make Cucumber Salad
- I use baby cucumbers, also known as English cucumbers, which are seedless and have very thin skin. Although there’s no need to peel, I like to make run my vegetable peeler on the sides of the cucumbers to make thin vertical strips for aesthetic purposes.
- You can swap the Vidalia with red onions if you like to add a pop of color but I recommend the sweet onions for flavor.
- Cucumbers have a high water content and tend to dispel a lot of liquid once mixed with the dressing. Add the mayo mixture when ready to serve and enjoy immediately. If you’re bringing it to a potluck and the salad to stand for a longer period, salt the cucumbers for a few minutes and squeeze the excess liquid first before tossing in the dressing.
- Want to cut down the fat and calories? Substitute the mayo with sour cream and replace the brown sugar with honey.
What to Pair with Creamy Cucumber Salad with Tangy Mayo Dressing
Bourbon Baked Beans-you’ll love the delicious medley of sweet, savory and smoky flavors!
Loaded Potato Salad-take this classic side dish to the next level with crisp bacon!
Oven-Baked Baby Back Ribs with Coffee Whiskey BBQ sauce-no need to stand in the heat to enjoy finger-licking good ribs!
Happy Memorial Day, everyone! See you here tomorrow for another scrumptious recipe!
Cucumber Salad with Mayo Dressing
- 4 English or Persian cucumbers, washed and sliced thinly
- 1/2 Vidalia sweet onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and sweet onions.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, brown sugar, and salt to taste. Whisk until smooth and sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dressing to the cucumbers and onions. Gently toss to combine. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes.