Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser. Learn the simple tips on how to make chicken that’s moist and juicy on the inside and golden and crispy on the outside!
Yet for a remarkably simple dish, fried chicken is easy to mess up. We’ve all had our fair share of dried out meat and over greasy breading but fret no more, friends! With this recipe, you’ll be sinking your teeth into the crispiest and juiciest fried chicken ever in no time and every time!
Tips on How to Make Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- Marinate the chicken in a buttermilk brine to tenderize the meat and infuse flavor.
- For extra crispy breading, double coat the chicken in seasoned flour.
- Deep-fry at the optimal 350 F temperature. Too high and the outside will burn before the inside is cooked through. Too low and the chicken will absorb a lot more grease. Use a thermometer to ensure accurate temperature.
- Fry in batches as needed and make sure to heat back the oil to 350 F before frying the next batch.
- Use oil with high smoke points such as peanut or canola oil.
- To keep the oil nice and clean during deep-frying, fish out any stray bits of flour in the oil that will otherwise burn.
- Finish off the chicken in the oven for about 7 to 10 minutes so the chicken fully cooks without the burning the breading.
Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 3 pounds whole chicken, cut into serving parts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, rosemary, shallots, garlic, kosher salt, and sugar.
- Add chicken and stir to fully coat. Allow to marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from buttermilk and shake off excess liquid.
- Add to flour mixture and turn to coat evenly.
- Shake off excess flour and dip the chicken in buttermilk.
- Add again to flour mixture to fully coat.
- In a thick-bottomed Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet, heat oil to 350 F.
- Gently add chicken and deep-fry, turning once, until golden brown and crisp. DO NOT overcrowd the skillet, fry in batches as needed.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and arrange in a single layer on a baking rack set onto a baking pan. Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for about 8 t 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 F. Serve hot.