Curry Chicken and Grape Salad with moist chicken, tart apples, juicy grapes, dried fruits, and candied walnuts in a creamy curry dressing. Chockful of flavor and texture, this chicken is fantastic in a sandwich or on crisp lettuce.
Curry Chicken and Grape Salad may be similar to the Apricot Walnut Chicken Salad Sandwich I posted last month, but it’s whole new kind of beast. While they share a few main ingredients, our brand new curry chicken salad recipe raises the bar with extra goodies.
Brimming with moist chicken, juicy grapes, tart Granny Smith apples, crisp celery, candied walnuts, dried apricots and cranberries, and green onions in a creamy curry-mayo dressing, this is the mother of all chicken salad! It has loads of texture and flavor you’ll love in sandwiches or on lettuce leaves for a low carb option.
Tips on How to Make Curry Chicken and Grape Salad
This curried chicken salad is so easy to make, I shouldn’t even call it a recipe! I like to make poached chicken for this, but you can swap rotisserie or baked chicken and have it ready in a breeze.
Since we are at the height of barbecue season, you can even use grilled chicken to give the salad a hint of smoky flavor.
Outside of cooking the chicken, everything else is chop and stir. The dressing is a simple mixture of mayonnaise, curry powder, and honey. You can make it ahead of time and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Not only is it amazing with this curry salad, but it will also go great with your favorite pasta or green salad and as a dip for fresh fruits.
Looking for a simple dish to bring to your Summer potlucks? This curried chicken is sure to be a party hit. Just make sure to keep on an ice bath as the mayo dressing will spoil pretty quickly in the heat.
While it’s the perfect treat for warmer weather, it has a distinctive Fall taste from the tart apples, dried cranberries, and curry which makes it a year-round favorite.
Give this salad a try for lunch today; it’s a light yet satisfying meal you’ll enjoy. More Summer meal ideas? You’ll love the fresh, healthy flavors in this berry chicken and spinach salad with honey mustard dressing!
Curry Chicken and Grape Salad
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes,halved
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup candied pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head iceberg or green leaf lettuce
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, place chicken in a single layer and enough water to cover. Add bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to barely a simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or until chicken reads 165 F at the center.
- Remove chicken from liquid and refrigerate until completely cool. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, honey, and curry powder until smooth and blended. Chill until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, apples, celery, grapes, dried apricots, candied pecans, dried cranberries, and green onions.
- Add curry-mayo dressing and stir together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving for flavors to meld. Spoon on lettuce leaves to serve.