One-Pot Barbecue Chicken Pasta loaded with bacon, chicken, cheese, and BBQ flavors cooked in one pot! Easy, cheesy, and tasty, it’s the perfect weeknight meal!
I work full time Mondays to Fridays, so most of the cooking I do for my two blogs happen on weekends. With about a dozen recipes cramped in two days, you can imagine the number of pots and pans that pile up.
Bless G! He handles the mountain of soiled dishes with nary a peep. And bless easy recipes like this one-pot barbecue chicken pasta! We get to enjoy a scrumptious meal with only ONE pot to deal with after.
When I saw this recipe, I knew right away it was going to be a hit at our dinner table. With sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, al dente pasta, moist chicken, gooey cheese, and bacon crumbles. this one-pot chicken pasta has all the flavors we love.
I did, however, modify it a little by adding chopped bell peppers and substituting fresh tomatoes for the canned variety and cream cheese for the milk. I also threw in a handful of green onions and crisp bacon crumbles just before serving for an additional pop of color and texture.
Oh boy! Was it indeed a hit! In fact, we sat and gobbled down our share with hardly a word between us until our plates were polished clean. We paired the pasta with cheesy garlic bread and tossed salad for a truly amazing weeknight meal!
Tips on How to Make BBQ Chicken Pasta
- Depending on the brand or type (like whole wheat) of pasta you use, you might need to adjust the amount of liquid used as well as cook time.
- If the pasta is almost done and it’s still liquidy, remove the lid and continue to cook uncovered to allow the sauce to reduce more quickly. You can also add more cheese to thicken the sauce.
- If the pasta looks dry, add more water or broth in 1/2 cup increments to loosen.
- Check the pasta and stir occasionally to prevent from sticking to the bottom.
This one-pot chicken pasta is easy to make, ready in minutes and cooks in one pot. Give it a try tonight and take the stress out of busy weeknights. It’s short on prep yet big on taste, you can pretend you slaved all day to make dinner. Enjoy!
Watch the video and See How Easy this One-Pot BBQ Pasta with Chicken is to Make:
One-Pot Barbecue Chicken Pasta
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 pound uncooked penne pasta
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 green onions, ends trimmed and chopped
- bacon crumbles, optional
- In a pot over medium heat, add bacon. Cook, stirring regularly until it begins to render fat.
- Add onions, garlic and bell peppers. Cook, stirring regularly, until limp and aromatic.
- Add chicken breast and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomatoes and cook, mashing with the back of the spoon, until softened and release juice.
- Add broth, barbecue sauce, and red pepper flakes. Stir until combined and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and stir to prevent from sticking together. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until pasta is cooked but firm to bite. Stir every 5 minutes to prevent pasta from burning and sticking to the pan.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir just until melted.
- Garnish with green onions, and bacon crumbles, if desired. Serve hot.