When I started my website and shared it with family and friends, the question most asked was, “Why Onion Rings and Things?” You see, on the afternoon I decided to jump back into food blogging, I was alternately watching YouTube and trying to figure out a blog name. I was getting frustrated as every single domain that came to my mind were already taken (Delicious Days since 2005!). I was close to giving up for the day when I clicked on a crispy onion rings video recipe from Food Wishes. An aha moment! ONION RINGS to stand for the recipes and THINGS for the dash of blah-blah-blah I throw in. Yehey! As we can’t have a cooking blog called Onion Rings and Things and not have a recipe for onion rings, here is a one from the genius of Chef John.
|Crispy Onion Rings|| |
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 cup cold club soda
- 2 to 3 Vidalia onions, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick rings
- 3 cups Panko bread crumbs
- salt to taste
- Separate cut onions into individual rings.
- In a bowl, combine flour, corn starch, instant mashed potatoes and cayenne powder. Add club soda and stir to combine. Set aside for about 1 minute as it slightly thickens. Dip individual pieces of onions into batter to coat.
- In a shallow dish, place panko crumbs and roll battered onions to fully coat.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 2 inches deep of oil. Fry panko-coated rings, turning once or twice, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from pan, drain on a wire rack and season with salt to taste.
More Onion Rings Recipe:
Beer-Battered Onion Rings from Brown-eyed Baker
Baked Onion Rings With Chipotle Ranch Dressing from Real Simple
Restaurant Style Onion Rings from Chef in Training
Cornmeal-Fried Onion Rings from My Daily Morsel